1/20/2006

World's Fastest Indian

[This is an e-conversation with Clay Nelson – priest, recent immigrant, and employed at St Matthew’]

I finally took your advice and went to see “The World’s Fastest Indian” last night. As always I enjoyed Anthony Hopkins, although his accent didn’t sound quite right. I loved the character he played – genuine, eccentric, accepting of difference, gullible, and generous. In a way the movie is about generosity – both of New Zealanders and Americans.

Clay responds: I have to say that after Anthony’s taxi experience on arriving in the US, I feared that my fellow Americans were about to be portrayed in a less than noble manner. I was relieved that most were shown to share Kiwi traits of hospitality and generosity.

What I got out of the film besides some tips on how to brew a proper cuppa, trim grass, and fertilize a lemon tree had to do more with the importance of breaking rules. I found it an exploration of Jesus’ question, “Is humanity made for the Sabbath or the Sabbath for humanity?” Hopkins defied convention, age, safety, physics, and expectations and in doing so freed others as well, from the neighbour boy who continued fertilizing the lemon tree in his absence to the speedway officials who let him give it a go against their better judgment.

Glynn responds: Interestingly as a self-confessed notorious rule-breaker I didn't particularly notice that aspect of the film. I was brought up with that can-do attitude and I suppose I just expected it.

What struck me was the generosity of the tough local bikies, the moaning neighbour, the transvestite motel worker, the people at Bonneville Salt Flats, and many others. And of course Burt Munro's own generosity of time and spirit.

My experience of living in the US is being overwhelmed with generosity. Those 'dolly-bird' characters at Bonneville were reminiscent of some of the air-heads at my High School who wanted to hitchhike down to NZ. Despite their seeming absence of brain cells they were actually quite generous people - even to strangers from Downunder.

Clay responds: I’m always pleased to hear stories where Americans behave admirably, especially in your case, as I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness and offers to help I have received from New Zealanders. One day within weeks of our arrival my spouse had walked some distance to the market and on the way home lugging her purchases a woman offered to help and did carry some of the load until their paths diverged. It was a small thing that made a big impression.

When I watched the movie I wondered if the similarities in generosity had less to do with the countries the characters were from and more to do with living in sparsely populated regions. In the American west most of the population lives in far apart cities, leaving vast areas filled only with sage, cows and the occasional small town. In New Zealand substitute gorse and sheep and it is much the same. Having grown up in some of those low populated areas I know how much one appreciates the stranger and understands the importance of offering a helping hand.

I wonder if a generous environment nurtures tolerance for rule breaking? I’m thinking of the neighbour who was upset with the condition of Hopkins’ yard when he was there, but was shown mowing it when he returned.

By the way, in reference to the bikies, this morning my painter, who is also the founder of the New Zealand branch of the Hell’s Angels, brought me dahlias from his garden. Talk about a generous rule breaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment