2/14/2006

Rich Mix

Life is a rich mix here in the city.

On Sunday morning an elderly priest wandered in and sat down. As the service started I could see he was uncomfortable. He obviously didn’t share my interpretation of Holy Scripture or my opinions. Afterwards though he was gracious, declining to comment on our differences, and instead chatting about his home city of San Diego and his joy in coming to New Zealand.

As we talked another visitor came through the door. This gentleman could only speak Spanish, and I could see that our conversation was going to be brief. The San Diego priest however came to our aid and entered into a fuller dialogue. I left them to it. Some time later I was down in the kitchen area when these two gentlemen reappeared, being led by a woman I’ll call Jane.

Jane, who sleeps on a park bench, is a frequent visitor to the Church and on Sunday mornings I usually let her in around 6 a.m. She makes herself at home, plundering the staff fridge, putting water and coffee in her sugar, and taking over the bathroom. The bathroom is her thing. I think she washes her clothes and herself in there. Whilst washing Jane emits a high-pitched giggle which, with our wonderful acoustic, travels up the stairwell into the Nave. It is difficult to explain that giggle to the solemn visitors at 8 a.m. Mass. I no longer try.

The other thing about Jane is that, despite the bathroom, she stinks. I suppose its part and parcel of living on the street. Parishioners are remarkably tolerant of the strong odour, as were the two visitors on Sunday. They were touched that someone had extended hospitality, inviting them down to kitchen for a cuppa of tea.

Some time later I returned to the kitchen and the conversation was still going strong but with an increase in volume. I politely told them that a Buddhist monk was about to lead a meditation in the next room and some quieter tones were called for. They looked at me in a quizzical way.

Ah, it’s a rich mix here in the city. The brew is strong, and you’ll never know quite what you’ll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment