3/21/2006

Prayer of the Bear - One Ring

In the mad scramble before leaving the country I found a ring. It was lying in an ice-cream cartoon amongst pens and paper clips at the back of the drawer, waiting to be rescued. It is about 50 mm wide with dolphins interspersed with paua [abalone]. I slipped it on my little finger where it has snugly stayed ever since.

It reminds me of the sea. The beautiful shell reflects the colours of the ocean. The dolphins symbolise the movement, the wonder, playfulness and freedom of the sea.

They call to mind too a phrase from a Colin Gibson hymn titled ‘When the Road Runs Out’. Gibson is talking about those times in our lives where we go past the familiar, where the usual markers are no longer there, and where we find new understandings of life and God. In the final verse, when the pilgrim is journeying by sea, he uses the phrase ‘the dolphin Christ’.

I’ve now worn this ring for three days. It reminds me of home. It is a compass for my heart. Wearing it is a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment