10/03/2006

What do you see?

"There was once a holy man in India who lived in prayerful state – so much so that everyone thought he was nuts. One day, having begged for food in the village, he sat by the roadside and began to eat, when a dog came up and looked at him hungrily. The holy man then began to feed the dog; he himself would take a morsel, and then give a morsel to the dog as though he and dog were old friends. This was an extraordinary sight in this part of India at the time. People with nothing didn't share their food with dogs! Soon a crowd gathered to watch.

One of the men in the crowd jeered at the holy man. He said to the others, "What can you expect from someone so insane that he is not able to distinguish between a human being and a dog?"

The holy man replied, "Why do you laugh? Do you not see Jesus seated with Jesus? Jesus is being fed and Jesus is doing the feeding. So why do you laugh, oh Jesus?"


This is a story about vision, about what you see. One could see just an old man foolishly giving what he cannot afford to give to a dog. This way of seeing invites one to either deride or reprove the old man. On the other hand, one could see that God or Jesus is in everyone – the man, the dog, the spectators, and even you. This way of seeing invites one to treat every living creature as holy and worthy of respect and dignity.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great parable about how God is indeed within everyone, including that dog in the parable. And dogs don't confess some rigid theological formula about how Jesus Christ died for their sins. Quakers have a term for this--that of God within everyone. I would even go farther and say that God is within everything as well as within everyone, because God is universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 am

    This is so true God is in everyone and everything. To be honest at times I struggle to remember that. I am ashamed to say sometimes I struggle to hold on to the bigger picture. At times I judge others or their actions even when I know I shouldn't

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:38 am

    This is so true God is in everyone and everything. To be honest at times I struggle to remember that. I am ashamed to say sometimes I struggle to hold on to the bigger picture. At times I judge others or their actions even when I know I shouldn't

    ReplyDelete