7/26/2007

The Basis of New Zealand Anglican

When the Archbishop of Uganda recently said that the basis of his Church was the authority of scripture, the seeds of the martyrs, and the historic episcopate I was struck by how foreign it all sounded. I think the Church in New Zealand has been deeply influenced by an egalitarianism that is wary of the consolidation of hierarchical power. One of the gifts, for example, I think the evangelical movement has given many of us is this sense of egalitarian, priesthood of all believers, unmediated personal relationship with God. Secondly, this Church has been deeply influenced by the spirituality of the tangata whenua [i.e. Maori], the earth on which we stand, and the struggles for justice around land and culture. The third basis I would say is innovation. It’s the make-do, no.8 fencing wire, create-our-own-solutions approach. We bring together our tradition, our scripture and hermeneutics, our peoples and our compassion and we make solutions. Sometimes of course we get it wrong – but more often than not I think we have got it right.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:36 am

    I also believe we have got it right

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:20 am

    Hello Glynn
    I had not realised you had replied to my comments. I did know we would not agree. You mention the Archbishop of Uganda recently said that the basis of his Church was the authority of scripture, the seeds of the martyrs, and the historic episcopate’ and how you where ‘struck by how foreign it all sounded.’
    I too am struck at how foreign your messages sound in light of the Bible I know. Auckland is so close and yet the two of us are a universe apart. While in Uganda; its Bishop is completely unknown to me and yet, I feel kinship with him for I agree with his Biblical description of the Church.

    In your earlier post you mention a well know spiritual teacher. I know of Him as well.
    He mentions another story of the bride waiting for the Bridegroom. The brides helpers are to keep watch in anticipation of the grooms return. I am certain that the groom is returning, He promised to do so. However He is not returning to negotiate a prenuptial. In fact we insult the Bridegroom by the suggestion we have had second thoughts on His Word and are not happy with the match. (Mt 25:1-13)

    Kind regards from Tim, who attends an Anglican Church, which was a shock to his Baptist parents.

    ReplyDelete